- RIF is reactionary, not proactive .
- RIF doesn’t give a hint as to what you should do differently to improve safety.
- Why incent RIF performance when all it does is lead to hiding injuries and thus impede progress in resolving the recurring issues that should be addressed?
- RIF means nothing to a worker on the front line, where the risks are lived with every day.
During the weeklong retreat it was decided that the CEO and group presidents owned RIF responsibility, whereas all those below these pay grades were responsible for the upstream activities that delivered downstream results. This led to a whole new initiative that will involve:
- Safety culture training
- Safety culture diagnostic
- Continuous Improvement focus
- Engaging employees at all levels of the organization in safety problem solving
- Safety Accountabilities for employees at all levels of the organization
- Effective interpersonal safety communication at the front line
- Personal Risk Assessment as a way of life for all employees, on and off the job